Disability means the impairment of a function Partially or totally, permanently or for a long time, which causes the person’s inability to meet his or her daily needs and dependence.
Disability is not limited to impeding the movement of a person but it includes all what affect the person’s performance negatively of different functions, including:
- Motor disability: The body’s ability to move is affected partially or totally.
- Visual or auditory impairment: It includes either weakness or total loss.
- Educational and intellectual disability: includes a defect in the person’s ability to learn and think.
- Psychological imbalance: Whatever the disease is, but it results an abnormal mental health that hinders the person from communicating with others around him.
These disabilities differ from one to another affect a person’s life and abilities.
Some may ask whether there are clear reasons for disability and can we avoid them?
Of course there are many causes and factors that lead to the occurrence of disability, and undoubtedly some of them can be prevented.
Causes of disability:
- Unavoidable hereditary causes, causing a genetic imbalance that causes diseases that cause disability.
- Complications of certain diseases due to the failure to complete the necessary treatment as occurs in:
- Diseases of the joints, which may cause abnormalities of the joints due to lack of commitment to treatment.
- heart disease and stroke, which may result in motor or sensory impairments.
- Acquired disability as a result of work injury or accidents.
Prevention of injury:
There are some preventable disabilities such as those resulting from the complications of chronic diseases and neglect of treatment, and the means of prevention are not difficult, including:
- eating healthy food, practicing sports, and follow-up at the doctor constantly.
- Do not neglect treatment, and care for regular medications.
One of the most important disabilities that many parents have to worry about when their children suffer from it is learning disabilities, which is a difficulty in the child’s ability to learn and acquire new skills, and physical disabilities may be associated with some learning disabilities, but this is not a rule, there are physical disabilities along with no disabilities in learning, rather, their owners have distinct mental capacities.
From this standpoint, we must pay attention to children with disabilities, and involve them in the areas in which they are characterized to develop their skills. and to provide them with appropriate support and care in schools, depending on the knowledge of their specific educational needs.
These special needs may be diagnosed at birth, or later, especially at the age of three, which vary from one child to another, so you should consult who has experience in determining what your child needs, and then continue to keep your child with his or her teacher.
The home has an indispensable role in the knowledge and development of the special needs of children, by giving them instructions and waiting for their implementation, to talk to them and to involve them in simple activities with the help of parents.
What is our attitude towards people with special needs?
Supporting them psychologically and socially and helping them to integrate into the society and to highlight their talents is the most important help we can provide to them, and as many of them have shown us their ingenuity in many fields, such as scientific, sporting and cultural fields.
Programs should be published to help loved ones with disabilities to make use of their time at home and develop their talents, including
- Motivating them to stroll with friends instead of meeting at home.
- Exercise is critical before or after work.
- Support for public facilities and parks by providing garden-specific training places for persons with disabilities.
- Provide them with the appropriate technical equipment and services that help them to work and integrate into the community.
Because people with disabilities account for about 15% of the world’s population, which is not a simple percentage, you may happen to be around you in the vicinity of your family, your business or your neighbors, to have the chance to help them, not to miss that opportunity, to help them break barriers, to integrate with others and to show their talents, and to make sure you will be very happy For a fruitful experience.
Finally, it is said that disability is not a hindrance to the body, but the real disability is not to make use of talents and ideas and could not benefit from them, how many of the physically disabled, but their lives are vibrant and energetic, many people with disabilities have demonstrated their genius and contributed their skills to the well-being of humanity.